Thursday, July 21, 2011

No Bake Cookies


  • Before Phil and I got married I had only lived in 1 house. I had never moved, never had to house hunt, nothing. It was this girl who decided on the first house we would rent. The first summer we were married we lived in Virginia. Our little house had no air conditioner. I hadn't realized we would need one. It was hot. It was humid. I was pregnant for my first time. It was pretty miserable. 
  • Phil was still stationed on a ship back then and I would send goodies with him to work every so often. Making these cookies made us some good friends. I still make them in the middle of summer on days when it's just too hot to consider turning on the oven.
2c white sugar
  • 1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2c milk
  • 1/2c margarine
  • 1t vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1c chunky peanut butter
  • 3c quick cooking oats

  • In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cocoa, milk and margarine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, peanut butter and oats.

  • Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper (or parchment or foil... or a nonstick mat). Allow cookies to cool for at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: