Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Creole

I had completely forgotten about this recipe until a friend called to ask for it. It originally came from a slow cooker recipe booklet and was labeled as "Shrimp Creole" but over the years I've improved it quite a bit, I think. I don't follow the amounts exactly, but here is my approximate recipe:

2T butter
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper
2 chicken breasts, diced
2T flour
1 1/2c water
1 6oz can tomato paste
1t salt
dash pepper
1/4t sugar
1 bay leaf
1 lb shrimp, tails off
1 turkey kielbasa, sliced
fluffy rice

In a large skillet, melt the butter, add the onion, pepper and celery and cook slightly. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add the flour and stir until well blended. Add the remaining ingredients except the kielbasa, shrimp and rice. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add meats and cook until shrimp turns pink and all is warm. Serve over cooked rice.

No comments: