2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 to 4 small firm bananas, sliced (as well as whatever other fruit sounds like it might be good)
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled). Stir in coconut.
Spread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely; crumble. Set aside 1/4 cup for topping.Just before serving, toss bananas with pineapple juice. In a 2-1/2-qt. serving bowl, layer a third of the macaroon crumbs, whipped topping and bananas. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.