Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jambalaya

I was born and raised in California. I didn't eat a lot of jambalaya or creole growing up.
I know.
You're shocked.
Believe it or not, that still hasn't stopped me from learning to love things like this. This recipe was so easy and really delicious! I'll post the recipe as I found it in this cookbook but next time my plan is to cut the spices in half to make it a bit cooler for the boys.

1T olive oil
1 1/2c chopped onion
1t minced garlic
1c chopped green bell pepper
1c chopped red bell pepper
2 1/2t paprika
1/2t salt
1/2t oregano
1/2t ground red pepper
1/2t black pepper
1c uncooked long-grain rice
2c fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2c shredded cooked turkey (I didn't use this)
6oz andouille sausage, chopped (couldn't find this so used turkey kielbasa)
2T sliced green onions (I didn't use this either)

Heat oil in a large dutch oven (I used my stock pot) over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan; saute' 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in bell peppers and next 5 ingredients to pan; saute' 1 minute. Stir in broth and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add turkey and sausage to pan; cover and cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

No comments: